Wednesday, October 8, 2014

October 7, 2014

The following article was in the September issue of The Tiger Print. Read the article (even if you already have) and respond to it below. What do you think? Do you agree? Disagree? Consider all perspectives of the article while you respond.

I think that this article is one of the truest things that I have ever read. I think that dress codes, while they have some merit, are being enforced extremely illogical in the current public schooling system. The way that this is framed is to where the girls must compromise the way that they dress for the sake of the boy's being able to focus. I agree pretty much wholeheartedly. I think that we need to have a dress code, but I think that this should be equally enforced for both genders. I don't think that we should simply run free, but rather that we should be held to similar standards that males are. Now, I recognize that there are different parts to focus on for each gender, obviously. However, I think that an equal number of restrictions would make the school place a lot less sexist and would make everyone a lot more comfortable. All in all, I agree with the thesis of the article: dress codes are being enforced in a sexist manner. However, I still think dress codes should exist to some extent. It reminds us that school is a formal place where learning needs to happen for everyone, not just one specific gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment